Today's big subject is the Blink-182 single entitled, Up All Night. Blink-182 is a pop-punk band from San Diego that was originally formed by guitarist, Tom Delonge, bassist, Mark Hoppus, and drummer, Scott Raynor in 1992. Their first album was entitled, Cheshire Cat and was released in 1994 with little to no commerical success. However, their second album, entitled, Dude Ranch, released in 1997 achieved great success and had several hit songs such as Dammit and Josie. Their album, Enema of the State. released in 1999 made them a household name. The most popular song on the album, All The Small Things, is their most well known song amongst the public. Shortly before production of Enema, Hoppus and Delonge fired Raynor from the band due to his alcohol addiction and his drug addictions. They then hired long time touring drummer, Travis Barker, of the Aquabats as the permanent drummer. The trio toured Enema and recorded a live album titled, The Mark, Tom, and Travis Show: The Enema Strikes Back. In November of 2000, the band began recording their fourth studio album. The album in question is Take off Your Pants and Jacket which was released in June of 2001. TOYPJ shared much of the success that was achieved with Enema. The album featured hits like : The Rock Show, First Date, and Stay Together For The Kids. In January of 2003, Blink-182 once again hit the studios and started recording their emponymously titled album, Blink-182. Fans complained that this album did not share many similarities with any of their other albums and did not retain the band's pop-punk roots. While recording a 6th album, Delonge quit the band. And that... was your history lesson for the day.
I've been listening to Blink-182 for as long as I can remember. I actually remember writing an essay in third grade stating that when I grew up, I wanted to be Tom Delonge and/or Mark Hoppus, play music, and tell penis jokes for a living. I actually got an +A on that paper despite my use of the word penis. But anyway... I was totally bummed when they broke up. And I had waited 8 years to satisfy my craving for new Blink-182.
I've taken the opinons of some of my friends and here's what they have to say about the new single, Up All Night.
"I'm not quire sure waht to think yet. It doesn't sound like them. I'll like it if ther are some punkier, more Blinkish songs on the album"- Jack Lange
"It's like Angels and Airwaves and Boxcar Racer having a baby. Not as catchy or energetic as old Blink, but I still love it. "- Wes Fletcher
"It's fucking amazing!"- Chess Fletcher
Personally, I agree with Wes. I think it sounds like AVA and Boxcar Racer had a child. A test-tube child that just so happened to be the new Blink-182. I can tell Tom did a lot of writing on this song.
Here's the song, Give me your thoughts.
No comments:
Post a Comment