Monday, July 18, 2011

Music and choices

Hello Faithful readers!

I have a question that ultimately has a deeper meaning than the words on the surface. My question is, what song changed your life? And by that, I mean that it changed your way of thinking, changed your way of looking at things, and caused you to want to be part of a solution to the problems in the world? 

People say that music isn't actually a valid form of persuasion, but I beg to differ. If you look back on history, then you'll start to see that there are many times where music led revolutions. For example, there was a man named Sam Cooke. Not only was Cooke one of the pioneers of soul music, he also helped give his people hope in an oppressive time. He is said to be one of the most influential writers of the 20th Century. I consider this to be true seeing as his voice can still be heard today in modern society. Julian Casablancas, of The Strokes, has named Cooke's song, A Change is Going To Come, as one of his favorite songs. There are many more examples of music that has changed history and that have effects that still resonates in modern times. 






Modern times.... two very rude words indeed. But why? Why do they have to be? When I was younger, I used to a lot of hateful songs that did nothing, but blame the government for my problems. Now that I look back and re-read those songs, all I see are empty words. I criticized everything and everyone EXCEPT myself, yet I failed to describe a viable solution. Now that I am older, I understand more about the way that the government works, the way that the modern world works, the way the concept of problem-solving works. It is also became apparent to me that before I tried to fix the problems in the world, I need to the problems in my own life.

I am not going to say what songs have changed my life. perspective, and outlook on the world. Instead, I will leave that up to your imagination.





No comments:

Followers